26 September 2005

20-mile run, and then some

This weekend I ran farther than I have ever run before. Anna and I were to meet up at 6:15am. Early enough for us to get in our run, and then wash up before having a slew of Saturday shopping, chores, etc. to do. However, it seemed to have slipped our minds that the sun does not rise until around 6:45/7:00am. So as soon as we felt comfortable to run with adequate light, we took to the streets. They were still, very quiet, and almost haunting. We kept a great pace and after two miles of chatting, we popped on our i-pods. Cruising along the trails past Falls Church, and then the beltway, we made it to the ten mile marker. We both looked at eachother and smiled. We had never been this far on the trail. As we turned around, our pace quickened. We knew we could do this and it was a great feeling.

Soreness in the knees, ankles, and shins set in around mile 16, but we continued to cruise. It was the perfect running weather. 70s and overcast. We made it to the end of the trails, and the end of our run. We added on an extra mile and a half of walking to stretch out our legs.

With the marathon only a little over a month away, it was very encouraging to finish this run. I have been in a slump since the middle of August, but this weekend put me back on track.

4 comments:

abi said...

Thats incredible!! It must be such a huge feeling of accomplishment! Congrats, Liz. Sounds like you're ready to take on this marathon!

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Congrats on the 20 miler, Liz! Feels so great when you pass that milestone running in unchartered territory doesn't it? I've got my first 20 coming up Saturday.

Rest well today, and I hope you aren't aren't too sore.

Marie said...

Wow. 20 miles. You are my official Shero of the day. Way to go!

Jank said...

20 miles - that's huge. I've pushed it off; need to hit it this weekend.

Congrats, and good luck.