Preserved House on the Worthington Farm
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul." John Muir
Muir, who was actually born in Scotland but made his mark on US soil, was the voice for the protection of Yosemite and other parks and environmental areas. Although his organization, the Sierra Club, is loathed by many today and rather radical, Muir's ability to see the importance of nature to man's soul WAS rather radical for his time. Muir Woods, a beautiful 12 mile expanse of redwoods on the pacific coast near San Francisco is named after Muir. This fairy tale forest has miles of trails that rejuvinate and give strength. Tim and I visited Muir Woods on our honeymoon and spent hours climbing up and up on the trails until you get glimpses of sea.
Recently I have been relying on the outdoors to give me strength. Spending a day outside walking and running in Doylestown, PA did more for me than three night's sleep. Walking around the Worthington's farm, attempting to run on a iced path, and running up and down hills of nothing but grass and farmland was incredibly soothing and in a way spiritual. I have always felt closest to God outside running, feeling my muscles move in and out, back and forth.
There are several places where I feel this even more (I think Geoff once time called these places something, but I can't remember now): On the streets of my parents neighborhood in Havertown, Pennsylvania; in Maine as I smell the pine trees; on the golf courses and beaches of Carmel; on the streets of misty England and Ireland; and along the lakes of the Adirondacks. I am always thankful that God has given us these places, these times and moments away from everyday life. They motivate us, change us, and give us strength.
Below are pictures from our weekend in Doylestown, PA.
3 comments:
I remember Becca calling them "thin spaces" or something like that. Places where you feel closer to God, where he reveals himself in powerful ways to us. I'm so glad you had a relaxing time there- you needed it!
That's right! Thin places.
you are both right! One thing is for sure ... thin places/spaces ... are rarely indoors unless it is a place set aside to meditate and meet God (an often-prayed-in ancient chapel or a prayer corner in your home). Otherwise, thin places are exactly like your special places, Liz ... or like Ireland's holy wells :)... like a place you suddenly come upon and sense the special presence of God there - beyond the realm of reason/knowledge! Come home for Christmas!
Post a Comment