21 January 2006



I have been thinking a lot lately about art, and our ability to create. The knitting swatch above is neither perfect or even beautiful, but it is art. In Walking on Water, Madeleine L'Engle wrote, "The discipline of creation, be it to paint, compose, write, is an effort towards wholeness."

We all seek roundness, wholeness, completeness. From a very young age we are encouraged to be "well-rounded." And we all deep down desire the innocence of imagination.

But L'engle is touching on something deeper. She goes on to say, "...I dreamed that a friend reached into a fireplace and drew out a living coal and held it in his hand, looking at its radiance, and I wondered at him because he was not burned. I may be that we have lost our ability to hold a blazing coal, to move unfettered through time, to walk on water, because we have been taught that such things have to be earned; we should deserve them; we must be qualified. "

Yet, we have been given a precious gift...a gift to dream, to heal, to re-create.

"Creativity opens us to revelation, and when our high creativity is lowered to 2 percent, so is our capacity to see angels, to walk on water, to talk with unicorns."

2 comments:

Jank said...

Thanks -

Anonymous said...

Love the knitting (my favorite color) ... and marvelous quotes! GWC says "revelation plus imagination equals faith".