
I think I was about 11 years old when I received my first gardening book. It has always been my dream to own a little plot of land that I could sow. My mom used to give me a small piece of grass and dry dirt on the far side of our house where I could do whatever I wanted. It is kind of funny to look back on it, because I don't really remember ever planting anything. I just remember clearing the area of weeds and staring at it, scheming up what I would plant and where if I had the money and the means to drive to the nursery and buy flowers. I only had to wait 15 more years to have it all come true.

And once again, I find myself staring at our front and back yard and staring at the plants at the nursery. I have been furiously reading my stack of gardening books, and they make every plant sound brilliant and unique. But when I get to the nursery it all becomes muddled.
So my plan is to go slow: buy a few plants at a time, figure out what works aesthetically with our house, figure out what can grow in this awful rocky DC soil, and keep reminding myself that gardening is a process and a means to a beautiful end.
2 comments:
Hi Liz,
It will all come together. Taking your time is wise. Don't forget to think long term - buy (or dig from a friend/parent/aunt/ or neighbor) perennials that will last from year to year. Also remember to use containers. I have really bad clay soil at my place, so to avoid that mess, I put my tomatoes in a planter. I can move them if they need more sun than I thought.
hmmmm.... your a better woman than me. I would just stand there with a glass of wine and a cig wishing I had the money to hire a gardener. haha
Post a Comment