07 December 2008

Carseat Monster

Sorry I haven't blogged all week. I have spent the last several days trying to put Ian on some sort of schedule. I wrote down everything - when he ate, played, napped and tried to do the same everyday. I picked up those awful sleeping books again. I really tried, I did. It didn't work. I give up.

I have also spent the last week trying to get Ian to sleep during the night. That didn't work either. He was doing so well and then around 4 1/2 months he just stopped. He wakes up several times a night. He isn't hungry. We let him cry and just lay in bed wide awake. Hours drag by. Before you know it is 4am and Ian has been up crying for 3 hours. This boy is stubborn. I don't know if traveling over the holidays got him off schedule or what it was (and really I need to stop rationalizing why he isn't sleeping through the night or I am going to drive myself crazy), but this boy has done a 180.

My friend Jaime commented, "So your saying he is just a normal baby now?" And yes, I guess that is it. Ian is actually crying and not sleeping like he used to. My yoga friends will be ecstatic to hear this. They always thought Ian was such a poster child. Not anymore.

What I really think happened is that Tim and I created a carseat monster. We took Ian everywhere his first couple of months. He had been to more Top 100 Zagat restaurants in DC at 3 months old than Tim and I had been to in 6 years. Smithsonians- check. Potomac Yards- check. Alexandria- check. I also took him on several walks a day in an effort to burn off the baby pounds, and to just get outside and not become a hermit. Therefore Ian learned to be rocked, driven, and walked to sleep in his carseat. Put him in the carseat and he will sleep for hours. But put him in his crib and he flips out. I am only telling you all this so you don't make the same mistake.

We ARE making progress and Ian is getting used to sleeping in his crib but it is slow going.

I am going to leave you with this picture because it makes me laugh every time I look at it. My friend Jaime was kind enough to watch Ian for me one day when I had to go into work for some meetings. Jaime's son Isaac is just a couple weeks younger than Ian. Jaime texted me this picture while I was gone and it just cracks me up.

3 comments:

Jamie & Bill said...

First of all, I think I speak for all the yoga girls that we would NEVER be happy at your exhaustion!! Given that Isaac never stopped waking up several times a night, I feel your pain!! Hopefully one of the time honored excuses for any erratic baby behavior applies - teething or a growth spurt - both are temporary and once they pass will have poster-child Ian back to giving you twelve hours of sleep a night and preparing to teach himself to read and be potty trained :)

GNC said...

that is such a cute picture!! I love it. I think he is just off schedule and will be sleeping through the night in no time. I do hate to hear them cry though. We're looking forward to seeing you guys soon.
G and Carlito

Steph said...

Hey pup! Ian so adorable! We were just talking about this in stroller strides this morning! One mom suggested to another one who's baby wouldn't sleep through the night to go up one size in diapers just for bed time. And she reported this morning that it totally worked for the past 5 nights! (The mom who's baby wouldn't sleep said before she tried it that it didn't seem like it would work bc the diapers weren't soaked before and the baby still wouldn't sleep once she was changed) but it's working for her now!