05 August 2005

The recent posts over at Becca and Bella got me thinking about my favorite summer food. Beyond a doubt I would have to say the tomato. (This is quite obvious by what I have made for dinner this week.) My parents grow amazing tomatoes. They are always juicy and full of flavor. We used to have tons of them, they would line our counter, window sills, and be piled inside our refrigerator. They were so delicious that we only ate them with a dollup of mayonaise.

This year my parents decided to grow cherry tomatoes as well, and gave Tim and me some in a bag. I caught Tim eating them out of the bag one day...just popping cherry tomato after cherry tomato into his mouth exclaiming, "these are the best tomatoes I have ever had." Must be the PA soil.

As I have grown I have altered my mom's dish a little, adding salt and pepper to the mayonaise to bring out the flavor. I also make tomato, basil, and mozzerella at least two times a week. It is a nice change to a boring old lettuce salad. Put the above ingredients (tomato, basil, and mozzerella) on top of a pesto laden pizza crust and you have a great dinner. Also, tomatoes are wonderful tossed with some cucumbers and red wine vinegar. The options are endless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great ideas ... love the pesto pizza idea with tomatoes, basil and mozzarella ...