04 January 2010

Small Victories


So, I forgot my bottle brush at my parents house and after a week of boiling Ian's bottles every night I decided I needed to stop. Ian needed to stop. For the sake of our family Ian needed to start taking milk from a cup. It has been something I have been working on for some time now but Ian was always attached to the bottle. The bottle was his pacifier, thumb, and blanket all rolled into one.

But today, for some reason, Ian decided it was time to give up the bottle. I simply took his bottles and put them in his closet and said, "We don't need your bottles anymore. We are going to put your bottles in the shelf of your closet and they will be there for the next baby that comes along." Then I handed him a cup of milk and he drank it. Done. Done. and Done.

I cannot tell you how happy I am! Granted, it dawned on me a few hours ago that my son was a total pushover and that next time he should stand up for himself a little more, but I am willing to call this one a win in my book.

5 comments:

Jodi said...

Absolutely - WIN!
Good for both of you! It's hard to give up comfort items. But I assume that he'll pick up something new like a ball or bat or lacrosse stick any day now!

Love you all. xoxoxox Jodi

Jamie & Bill said...

Nice - good job mama! A victory is a victory, and with all that boiling, at least you know the bottles will be clean for the next baby that comes along :)

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Nah, he isn't a pushover, he's just wondering why his Mom was holding out on the big-boy cups for so long. :)

Unknown said...

Now aren't you glad I am such a procrastinator and didn't overnight the bottle brush to you? I have to admit I was feeling guilty, but no more.

Anonymous said...

That boy sure is cute. Makes my day to see him and read of his doings. Oh and the celtic cross is opposite the stairway so we have a visual reminder of Jesus before us, behind us,around us.