05 October 2005

Dreaming of Mums and Pumpkins



reds, oranges, deep greens. hot cider, apple crisp, stews, and butternut squash. running in the crisp evenings. sleeping with the windows open. long pants, sweaters, and flip-flops. roasted pumpkin seeds. football games. bright blue skies and brilliant sun. fallen leaves.

3 comments:

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Mums and pumpkins are such the fall signals aren't they? The local stand when I buy my strawberry rhubarb jam all summer long, starts selling the mums and pumpkins just about the time they run out of jam. If I see the mums, I know I need to go grab a few extra jars to get me through the winter. Squirrel that I am. :)

Jank said...

mmmm, squash. I was never a fan until my lovely wife found a recipie for stuffed squash.

Essentially:

- sautee onions in butter (best way to start an entree, isn't it?)
- Chop up some sausage (nothing fancy - we like maple flavored breakfast links for this)
- Mix the onions and sausage with some breadcrumbs / stuffing mix
- Lop the tops off the squash. Stuff the squash w/ stuffing mix.
- Bake at about 350 until the squash is squishy
- Eat right out of the squash shells

Sorry - it's acorn squash, not butternut. Had to google to be sure.

Liz Chapman said...

Jank, THat sounds great! I will try it. Hoping to go to an orchard and farmers market this weekend to pick up tons of squash and apples. YUM.